Watch the video on How to Login to LMS -
Watch the Introduction video here -
The Highfield Level 3 Award in Food Safety for Catering has been developed and is awarded by Highfield Qualifications and sits on the Regulated Qualifications Framework (RQF). The RQF includes those qualifications regulated by Ofqual.
This qualification is intended to provide supervisors, middle management, and quality assurance staff with the essential practical knowledge to enable them to manage staff to provide safe food. Building on the Highfield Level 2 Food Safety qualification, emphasis has been placed on understanding and managing hazards to prevent food poisoning, spoilage, complaints, and food recalls.
In addition to the roles and responsibilities of supervisors, prerequisite programs, and HACCP, learners will study how to manage the risk factors associated with illness, including temperature abuse, ineffective processing and cooling, storage, thawing, contamination (microbiological, allergenic, chemical, and physical) and poor staff hygiene.
It is appropriate for all sectors of the food industry – catering, retailing, and manufacturing.
By the end of the course, Successful delegates will be able to
- ensure compliance with food safety legislation
- Apply and monitor good hygiene practice
- implement food safety management procedures and
- apply and monitor good practices regarding contamination, microbiology, and temperature control.
1. Understand the requirements for ensuring compliance with food safety legislation
1.1 Identify the importance of implementing food safety management procedures
1.2 Identify the responsibilities of those working in a catering environment in respect of food safety legislation and procedures for compliance
2. Understand the application and monitoring of good personal hygiene practice, training and competency
2.1 Identify the process of implementing and maintaining high standards of personal hygiene within a catering operation
2.2 Explain the requirements for induction and ongoing training of staff to ensure competency
3. Understand the application and monitoring of good practices to keep work areas clean, hygienic, and free from pests
3.1 Identify the process of implementing procedures for cleaning, disinfection, and waste disposal
3.2 Outline the actions that need to be taken with regard to pest control
4. Understand the application and monitoring of good practice regarding contamination, microbiology and temperature control
4.1 Outline the responsibilities of those working in a catering environment when identifying hazards posed by, and procedures to control, microbiological, chemical, physical and allergenic contamination
4.2 Explain the importance of, and methods for temperature control within a food catering process
5. Understand how to implement food safety management procedures
5.1 Outline the process for applying a food safety management system in a food business
5.2 Describe methods for, and the importance of, verifying food safety controls and procedures
5.3 Outline the responsibilities of those working in a catering environment when identifying and selecting suitable controls and monitoring, to prevent food safety hazards from purchase to service
- Managers, supervisors, and Personnel who are responsible for managing food safety in the catering, retailing, and manufacturing industries.
Expected Prior Knowledge
- There are no prerequisites for this qualification however it is strongly advised that learners already hold the Level 2 Award in Food Safety or equivalent.